Saturday, April 5, 2008

Life is a Highway - I wanna ride it all night long

800 miles later, we've survived the age-old test of familial endurance; the roadtrip.


I'd characterize the first portion of our trip as "Icy". And I don't mean the weather.

Our long ride was made even longer by the not-so-veteran-road-warrior maneuver on my part to leave the house in my bedroom slippers with no other shoes packed. Nice. It added a 30 minute detour onto our journey and almost an hour of "let's just not talk about this" silence in the front seat of the car. And if this blog affords me nothing more than the opportunity to defend myself in the most public of ways, may I just mention that I'd spent a great deal of time and energy and valuable brain cells provisioning the rennievan so as to avoid a Stolpa/Kim family catastrophe?

Given the conditions of the mountains - not to mention the back seat boys - I think we were all glad that we had enough food to feed North Korea with the extra sandwiches, pretzels, water and chocolate. And CDs, and DVDs, and scooby doo underwear and diapers and wet wipes and and and and... did I forgot to turn off the stove?


And don't forget the truck books.


It made me realize just how good it was to be a kid; when your only job was to look out the window and keep your hands off your brother and out of your nose. At least while no one was looking.

All discomforts of the road were nearly vanquished when we saw the look on the boys' faces upon arrival at the ancestral farm. Their smiles and cheers almost made my constricted bladder and semi-permanently contorted neck injury seem worth it. Almost.


Greeting the hay kitties. "Kitty humry. Kitty humry. Heee heeee heee!" Over and over and over again. Not only hungry, the kitties are also pretty mean, so it was good that Sammy is a LOUD farmer.


Max, however, got very quiet on the farm. He takes it all very seriously and has a special reverence for all things equine. Especially his favorite horse.


Within minutes of departing the rennievan, Max was begging to be lifted onto Simmy. No saddle or bridle, just hanging on by the mane (and Daddy) and I'm almost ready to exhale. But not quite.

Introducing the latest member of our family, Jasper:



And one of the oldest members of the family, John Deere circa 1945 with Sammy at the wheel.

2 comments:

Dodi said...

Those are great. I love the picture of Max looking out the window.

Oh, did you know? A penny in the charger area can drain a battery and dinner conversation. On the bright side, the car might be working better tomorrow.

Leah said...

Shoes are an important detour, and hey, overworked, underslept brains can't think of EVERYTHING first thing in the morning. I'll defend you on that one! LOL

Looks like you guys had a fantastic time. And here I was thinking you'd FLOWN somewhere!!!