Friday, May 29, 2009

"Fun" Run

The boys and I "ran" in a local 3K tonight. Max was off like a rocket at the start and Sam burned all his fuel in the first 100 yards trying to keep up with him. But he made a strong finish to the cheers of admiring fans and the motivational coaching that I gave him "to finish fast like Lightening McQueen!" It was all grins and bouncing curls from Sam until Max yelled out from the crowd at the finish line, "MOM! They're out of Otter Pops AND Popsicles!"

It sounded like reverb to me. Echoing over the cheers - in Chariots of Fire style slow motion - I watched the descent into total meltdown as Sam realized he would be denied. Surrounded by over 300 children slurping down frozen corn syrupy goodness; their elbows sticky with orange happiness and Fudgsicle wonder. Right in front of him. And. there. was. none. for. him. My ears will forever echo with the wails.

Fortunately, a quick stop at the mini mart saved the day. And a phone call to Daddy to tell him what great little racers he's got:
"My won the race, Daddy!"

"I picked it up right at the 2K mark like we talked about and still had a kick at the finish, Daddy. I think the key was running through 4 lawn sprinklers to stay hydrated"



Excellent post-race recovery, Sam.

2 comments:

Leah said...

look at those CURLS! My word!!

Glad you guys had a good time. I was afraid of how things would be with me in charge of all three of mine by myself in such a large crowd, especially when CONNOR (the wild man!) would be involved, and I opted out of risking having to carry his hefty self the entire time. We hope to participate next year!

Unknown said...

Oh man! I'm so sad I missed this! LOL How cute are these little monkeys???