Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Holiday Math: or how to divide the joy

Karma, you certainly have a sense of humor.

About ten years ago I sent my future nephews (ages 4 and 6 ish at the time) an advent calendar filled tiny pieces of chocolate, one for each day in December until Christmas. One chocolate advent calendar: two boys. I'm pretty sure that someone could develop a mathematical equation termed the ratio from hell and it would involve those two numbers. But that's about the extent of my mathematical genius (thank you liberal arts degree), so I will leave that bit of configuring to the geniuses at MIT or wherever those smart types hang out these days. Clearly, it's not at my house.

2:1

Because counting down the unbearably long days until Christmas comes so easily to small children, and sharing a miniscule tidbit of a petroleum-based sugar product is always so rewarding. It was one of those good intention gifts that really ingratiated me into my future family and warmed them to my generous spirit.

2:1

This year I spotted a darling advent calendar that I was sure that I had checked to make sure that was NOT of the chocolate variety, because who needs candy to further flame the countdown? Apparently not only am I not good at math, I think I may have also failed vocabulary. Of course it's filled with chocolate.

Which I didn't discover until making a really big deal about letting the boys each open their advent calendars (my brother got us one as well - yippee, one for each! I thought). The only thing worse than having to divide a piece of microscopic candy is to have to explain to the child who opened said piece of candy that he needs to share it. Yeah, that ratio just got a whole lot harder to work out.

So from now until the day the fat man wiggles down our flameless chimney, I will have the evening ritual of dividing the mini-est of bells, snowmen, and stars into two equal pieces (again with the math, ugh).

2:1 - Really spreading the spirit of season.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Advent calendars are the devil...I like to call them Sadvent calendars :) Yesterday Nadia and Kimo got Sadvent calendars (one for each) and while helping Kimo open his, Nadia managed to eat 3 days...not 1,2,&3...oh no, she ate 1, 16 and 23! That's talent right there! It only took her about 4 seconds to do so!

Leah said...

As if I wasn't already giggling enough, Brandy's opening sentence sent me over the edge! LOL!!!

My very sweet mother makes the kids advent calendars each year. she makes them cover large portions of their bedroom doors (not so high they can't reach though), uses cut-out images from last year's Christmas cards, and covers each one with squares/rectangles of wrapping paper, glued lightly in each corner. No candy, no arguing, no numbers to try to find (they just pick one each day and go for it), no money or time required on my part... life is good...

can you imagine me trying to divide those little candies three ways?????