Monday, December 1, 2008

Home Sweet Home

An hour after bedtime:

Max 's Big Boy Bed is covered in tractor blankets, books, dinosaurs, orca and humpback whales, sharks, books, monkeys and other prized collectibles. Looking like an oversized baby doll, Max is passed out dreamily among the menagerie.

Sam's little toddler-sized bed across the room is Empty.

A quick survey of the room draws my eye to the wall next to the bed stand. Two large pillows are propped up against the wall, behind them Sam's wild and crazy curls calm my panicked heart.

"Shhhhhh" he hushes, little curls peaking above the denim pillows, "Max is seeping, me hiding."

I scoop him into bed, smiling into his tired eyes. Queen cars are tucked into awaiting fingers, blankets nuzzled around, and kisses placed on his chubby cheeks.

There's nothing better than your own bed, little one.

Night Night.

1 comment:

Leah said...

OH MAN! I can't tell you how many times I check on the boys in their room and find Jared sleeping peacefully in his bed, and Connor's bed empty. I've found him playing in the closet, laying under the bunkbeds, over in the corner surrounded by every book we own...

Sounds like it would be unwise to leave Connor and Sammy alone in a room at sleeping time. LOL!!