Thursday, May 29, 2008

I'll take a side of brynner, hold the yul

I had a pretty good idea of how the day was going to go when I found myself leaving both the pediatrician's office and the state run liquor store with two small children before the clock even hit 10:30 in the morning.

Good news on two fronts - no ear infections and Jose Cuervo was on sale!

And lest you think that I'm a total derelict, I did fix my kids dinner tonight. Sorta.

Pancakes and eggs in the dinner hour, which we affectionately refer to as "Brinner". Many families do it, I assume, but title credit goes to my sister-in-law who has safely and wisely guided her two boys into adolescence. I met her over ten years ago when her wee ones were the ages of my wee ones and I have been delighted to follow the obstacles and adorations in which she too, once stepped, with two humry boys.

Breakfast for Dinner. Brinner.

And no, we don't shave our heads and sing "Shall we Dance?" Or act out scenes from "The Magnificent Seven", but I could totally see the boys in cowboy hats and western duds way before I could see myself in a petticoat dancing with Mr. Wonderful in "Hammer Time" pants. With his head shaved and no shirt and a big belt buckle. Okay, I'm making myself laugh here. That's just an image that my brain cannot compute.

Although I do often sing "Whistle a Happy Tune" while my kids are crying and it bugs the crap out of them, which I'm sure is what it's supposed to do. I remember it bugging the crap out of me when Mrs. Marshall taught us to sing it in fourth grade and suggested it be a guiding principle in our lives.

But then she also taught us to sing "You Light Up My Life" (hello??? it was the 1970's) and I thought it was the most romantic, magical and special song ever written. Until my parents made so much fun of me that I only sang the lyrics in my head while walking home from school.

My mother even put it to me this way: "There are two kinds of people...those who were Pat Boone fans and those who were Elvis fans. Your father and I were Elvis fans."

Like I was supposed to know what that meant. Or be reassured by it.

But somewhere along the way I figured out what she meant by that.

And some days that might even make me whistle a very happy tune. And some days, Jose Cuervo might help, too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You crack me up. I am getting bored with some of the other blogs I read. You are wonderful and a new favorite place to stop while drinking my AM coffee. Keep up
the good work.

Leah said...

I think that's my auntie you've got posting there...

I assume the Jose is for tonight?

and we do breakfast (pancakes/scrambled eggs) for dinner far more than we ever do it for breakfast. I'm not awake enough in the mornings to feel like tackling that project, as well as messing up my kitchen first thing in the day, but it's a nice easy dinner on a crazy night, and it works. You're not alone.

Mr Wonderful in hammerpants witha big belt and shaved head definately made me laugh

and please teach me the song you were referring to. I think I might like bugging the crap out of my kids when they cry. (hey, they bug the crap out of ME when they cry...fair's fair, right? or am I being mean now??? LOL)