Monday, September 1, 2008

Exalted Ruler Meets Bon Jovi (and it was All Good)


Samuel P. Taylor State Park - August 2008

Walking down the road today on our weekly garbage mission, the boys and I noticed that Summer is easing into final boarding stages before she departs and leaves us with her chilly sisters Fall, Winter and Spring. Today's wind was cool and crisp on my cheek, and the long shadow of Max pulling Sam in the Red Flyer wagon was noticeable in the morning sunshine.

With blue sky and delightfully ripe and juicy blackberries welcoming the little fingers and lips of my baby bears, this garbage day is far removed from the cold and wet walks of Winter. But it occurred to me today that the pleasant garbage walks of 2008 can probably be counted on one, or maybe two, hands. With that thought I couldn't help but feel a little of Summer's joy fading. Also present are the stirrings of anticipation as we head back into the routine of preschool, activities, and the ever-important friends of toddlers and their parents: structure and consistency.

The past two weeks have been filled with travel, family, reunions, and reconnections. We have been blessed with the fulfillment that comes from warm and full days shared in joyous exaltation at the ballpark, the sandbox, the playground and the backyards of those we love. The boys are growing physically, transforming dramatically under the shade of hot afternoons. Sammy speaks new words and is able to communicate his needs so that others can finally clue into his sweet and sensitive world. Max is able to control his engine and keep it running "just right" most of the time, allowing us to relax and enjoy his magnificent personality minus the goofy and wild side of four year old boy rambunctiousness.

Last week I got to reconnect with people who are near and dear to me, even if not in close proximity. I treasure their friendships and am so grateful for the ties that bind.



Big boys on big wheels. The littlest cousins show that they have what it takes to ride on the wild side.


Pictured above are two key components to pleasant air travel for one adult traveling with two small children. New tractors opened at the Starbucks near the departing gate. Diggers and cranes are shown here with a heavily bribed set of oatmeal raisin cookies. Not pictured: a Grande Americano in the photographer's hand, ensuring the optimum levels of caffeine (high) and whining (low) necessary to await the rigors of a two hour flight.



Cracker Jacks snuck in a diaper bag: $2.99
Anchor Steam Beers served in a ballpark plastic bottle: $8

Garlic Fries (aka Heaven in a grease bucket): $4.

Being with my father as he turned my son into a SF Giants fan: priceless


Peanuts and tractor jacks...I don't care if I never get back...




Hey Trojans! My best buddies from High School all dolled before heading out for our 20th year reunion


Friends from kindergarten and preschool. Hard to believe that I was Max's age when we first hugged and now we show up unintentionally coordinated in green together. Is this some latent Crayola fascination or are we on the forefront of a new fashion trend?


That would be the Exalted Ruler of the Elk's Lodge where the '88 Trojans reunited to "Never Say Goodbye" (shown here with my dear friend, Amy, who traveled from Hong Kong and was fabulous).


Doing the best Rick Astley impersonation EVER! (I got moves don't I?)
Never gonna give you up
Never gonna let you down
Never gonna run around and desert you
Never gonna make you cry
Never gonna say goodbye
Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you



A perfect summer day with good friend Alli B., great food, hair-of-the-dog blood orange mimosas, and the closing ceremonies of the 'Lympics.


Bubbi, bikes and redwood trees. Summer just doesn't get much better than this (matching shirts are really just icing on an already damn tasty cake).

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hehehh...
And little details, like when Max explains something for the benefit of Sammy "because he's just a little guy!"

ps: I LOVE the pic of you and me and Les...
pps: Hi Alli!

Leah said...

Oh, there's just too many great pics to comment on...

I'm glad it was a fantastic trip for you and your family. I think it's great you and your friends have stayed connected that well all through school and then through 20 years past. I wish I could say the same...

I never thought I'd do the matchy-matchy thing with my boys, until Connor was just a teeny baby and I scored an awesome deal on blue plaid button-up shirts that came in sizes for both boys and I've been hooked ever since! Max and Sammy wear their matchy-matchy shirts well!