Thursday, March 20, 2008

It's like, the radio is talking to ME!

No no no, it's not the random voices in my head. Honest, the radio really is trying to tell me something.

This week has been ALL about me.

Check it out: 9@9 on The Mountain (where they play a set of nine songs from one year or with one common theme without divulging the year/theme until a listener has guessed correctly.)

First, earlier this week they played the year I was born (and admitted that they rarely go back this far into the music archives). I totally remember all these songs from en utero and probably entered this world listening to Maybe I'm Amazed or Truckin'. I'm pretty sure I remember the obstetrician singing some Grateful Dead, but it was a big day for me so maybe I'm mixing things up a bit.
1970
In the Summertime -- Mungo Jerry
Big Yellow Taxi -- Joni Mitchell
No Matter What -- Badfinger
Roadhouse Blues -- Doors
Maybe I'm Amazed -- Paul McCartney
Stoned Love -- The Supremes
And It Stoned Me -- Van Morrison***
Truckin' -- The Grateful Dead
Southern Man -- Neil Young


Then, they played the year in which I got married. I put "Kiss Me" on our wedding favors (a mixed tape - how old school is that - a tape!).
1999
Kiss Me-- Sixpence None The Richer
Last Kiss-- Pearl Jam
Room At The Top-- Tom Petty
Brand New Day-- Sting
Run-- Collective Soul
Everybody's Free-- Baz Luhrmann***
Fly Away-- Lenny Kravitz
Put Your Lights On-- Santana Featuring Everlast
Ice Cream (Live)-- Sarah Mclachlan

Best Of Set***

And today, they chose the year in which I graduated from high school. This was probably the pinnacle of my interest in popular music and so was therefore a big thrill to listen to all these songs again. Without braces or acne or driving through Taco Bell.
1988
Bring Me Some Water -- Melissa Etheridge
Roll With It -- Steve Winwood
(Nothing But) Flowers -- Talking Heads
Fast Car -- Tracy Chapman
Handle With Care -- Traveling Wilburys
Better Be Home Soon -- Crowded House
Circle -- Edie Brickell
Angel of Harlem -- U2
Under the Milky Way -- Church

Easily amused I am. But it's my morning pleasure, driving in the rennievan and NOT listening to the musical choices of my Back Seat Boys.

And, if those three sets hadn't been enough to get me thinking that this was a really good omen week, they also played this set, which I thought was super clever...

Nine Songs Based on Literature
Moon over Bourbon Street -- Sting ("Interview with a Vampire" by Anne Rice)
White Rabbit -- Jefferson Airplane ("Through the Looking Glass" by Lewis Carroll)
Ramble On -- Led Zeppelin ("Lord of the Rings" trilogy by J.R.R. Tolkein)
Mama -- Genesis ("Moon's a Balloon" by David Niven)
Ground Beneath Her Feet -- U2 ("Ground Beneath Her Feet" by Salman Rushdie)
Sympathy for the Devil -- Rolling Stones ("Master & Margarita" by Mikhail Bulgakov)
Romeo and Juliet -- Dire Straits (that Shakespeare play)
Rain King -- Counting Crows ("Henderson the Rain King" by Saul Bellow)
Goodbye Yellow Brick Road -- Elton John ("The Wonderful Wizard of Oz" by L. Frank Baum)

1 comment:

GrampaTom said...

I have absolutely no idea what you were hearing en utero, but something is amiss at The Mountain for NOT including "Me and Bobby McKee" - the Janis Joplin classic!
This is wonderful -- your blogs just get better and better!
Grampatom