Sunday, February 24, 2008

CARS is a four letter word

Pixar has ruined my life.

Not intentionally, I'm sure, but their movie of the superstar race car has turned my otherwise sweet, loving, and mild little boy into a toddler Nascar nightmare.

Observe this little video, I think it explains our dilemma better than any words I might have:



You see, I'm not getting the rest that my body needs, craves, and requires because there is an obsession, a compulsion, and a constant cry for Cars. "Cars!" "Cars!" "Cars!" accompanied with a koala-like leg hold that would merit high points in a wrestling match.

Any suggestions? Do I feed the beast and bring on more McQueen? Or try to redirect and distract? We went through this with Curious George aka "Joe Monkey" with Max, and we totally went with it. But I just can't get the same warm fuzzy for an egocentric race car and a redneck tow truck as I did for an illustrated little monkey who has charmed children and parents for generations. Oh, what I wouldn't give for the man in the yellow hat to visit Radiator Springs and ride off with Sally and the curious lil' monkey and leave McQueen in the dust.

Sigh.

But I'm not blaming Hollywood for this little problem. In fact, I'm embracing movies tonight, as well as the creative folks at Pixar. I'll watch the Oscars and cheer for all the movies, celebrities and talent that I did NOT see. (2007 was not a good year for the box office and moi)

Tonight I'm going to make dinner in honor of one of the two movies nominated that I DID see.

One-Pan Ratatouille
From Sunset Magazine



Photo by James Carrier

Ingredients

3 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, peeled and diced (1/2 in.)
2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
2 cans (14 1/2 oz. each) diced tomatoes
8 ounces Asian eggplant, rinsed and diced (3/4 in.)
About 1/2 teaspoon salt
About 1/4 teaspoon pepper

1 pound red, yellow, and/or orange bell peppers, rinsed, stemmed, seeded, and diced (1/2 in.)
1 zucchini, rinsed, ends trimmed, and diced (1/2 in.)
8 ounces yellow summer squash, rinsed, ends trimmed, and diced (1/2 in.)
3/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves

Preparation

1. In a 12-inch frying pan with sides at least 2 inches tall, or a 5- to 6-quart pan, heat 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and stir frequently until onion is limp, about 5 minutes.

2. Add tomatoes (with juice), eggplant, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and 1/2 cup water and bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until eggplant is soft when pierced, about 10 minutes.

3. Stir in bell peppers, zucchini, and yellow squash. Return to a simmer, cover, and cook until squash is tender when pierced, 8 to 10 minutes longer.

4. Stir in basil and remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil. Add more salt and pepper to taste.

YIELD: 4 servings

CALORIES 215(46% from fat); FAT 11g (sat 1.5g); PROTEIN 5.6g; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; SODIUM 634mg; FIBER 6.4g; CARBOHYDRATE 28g


Evening Wear on the Red Carpet

And although I'll be cursing the good folks at Pixar under my garlic breath, this is what we'll be wearing:



The foodie in me hopes that they do well tonight. The Nascar in me...well I guess there just isn't any left.

1 comment:

Leah said...

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CARS! And whether he actually understood exactly what you were asking him, or just happily chanting CARS, I don't know, but that was completely HYSTERICAL, and maybe I'm glad Connor isn't talking much yet... LOL

Thanks for sharing!