Saturday, February 9, 2008

Raucous Caucus



Just got back from attending my first electoral caucus. I knew all that time in Junior State http://www.jsa.org in high school, memorizing Robert's Rules of Orders, would come back to haunt me someday. It was a spectacular turnout and I was proud that our 'hood had an especially large representation.



Intelligent debate from both Obama and Clinton supporters, and it was interesting to see my neighbors engaged in something outside of their usual context.


I was surprised at how ardent some folks were, given that this was a primary and not the actual presidential election. And also given how small this community is, but I guess that speaks more to how passionately people feel about what's going on in this country right now.



I brought the junior statesman to experience democracy in action. He much preferred the hot cocoa stop afterward but did well considering this was his first political experience outside of a polling booth or the dinner table debates at home. For the record, Max says he likes the Donkey better.




2 comments:

Unknown said...

Max looks like Uncle Sam saying "I want you" haha, I miss you guys! Glad to hear that everyone is feeling better!

Leah said...

We got busy with our day and TOTALLY FORGOT. I've never been to a caucus (always makes me think of Alice in Wonderland!). Maybe next time! Glad you enjoyed yourself