Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Summer: It's the New Winter

Juneuary 2008

I am over the cold. Over. It. I am over being stuck in the house with kids who deserve to be coated in sunblock with juice streaking down their chins and forearms while they dig in the sand and wear sunhats to protect their bald spots. I am over having to come up with "indoor crafts" while the rest of the Northern Hemisphere is planning their cook outs and picking ticks from their pets and blowing bubbles in the swimming pool filled with kid urine.

Okay, so I'm a little bitter.

Find the happy place. Find the happy place. Find the..okay, it's just not here in this latitude.

My highly-strung nerves may have a wee bit to do with the fact that I've been stuck in the house with four young children by myself for two days. Highly outnumbered and in awe of the parents out there who do this everyday. Holy cow.

These were some of the things we did to pass the time:



Okay, so clearly I am not demonstrating good judgement here. Only a bottle of ibuprofen and ear plugs can make this situation any better. Sometimes even mommies make bad choices.

And speaking of bottles, I dyed some macaroni for necklaces. The Internet told me to use a tincture of rubbing alcohol and food coloring. When my neighbor came to pick her kids up, the house (and her children) smelled like booze. And she didn't even bat an eye. God, I love my neighbor.



I still have this bowl sitting on my counter in case the kids get some wild hair and decide that they must make jewelery RIGHT NOW. Of course, their wild hairs are more likely to involve tackles and water faucets, but a mom can always hope. And yes, I have reached my hand into that bowl no less than five times thinking that it might have some little munchy crunchy goody inside, only to sadly pull back and go sob in the pantry.



And just when you think it can't get more 1970's...



We painted Pet Rocks!





If it doesn't hurry up and get sunny around here soon, I'm going to turn up my "Free to Be, You and Me" CD, hang up some macrame plant holders with ferns inside of them, and paint the stainless steel appliances avocado and gold.

Just for something to do.

1 comment:

Leah said...

wow Rennie, you put me to shame. My kids have just been planted in front of the TV lately (in my defense, it's to keep the peace while I deal with insurance stuff...). That, and the 8ftX8ft bounce house I specifically chose for purchase because it fits in my "playroom" when inflated... And Jared? He doesn't mind a little rain and it's easier to send him out into the rain than try to come up with really valid excuses as to why he shouldn't. (why shouldn't he go out and swing in the rain???) LOL

I'm sending my kids to you from now on. You do crafts!